Todd A. Weber
Todd has provided problem solving and comprehensive planning to individuals and businesses for twenty years. His representation and advice have helped a broad and diverse group of companies, executives, and entrepreneurs across a wide range of representative matters. From start-ups and financing to business sales and acquisitions or assisting with day-to-day legal needs, Todd has aided numerous clients and family-owned businesses. He takes a vested interest in his clients’ success, and as outside general counsel he advocates for and advises them on the myriad of issues encountered in structuring, negotiating, and documenting both complex and common corporate and commercial transactions. Todd works closely with his clients and their advisors to identify, create, and help implement strategies that achieve desired results in an efficient manner, while being mindful of long-term goals and personal or company values. His business background and big four accounting experience enable him to provide a comprehensive yet practical approach to his client’s needs, including attention to real-world and tax implications, or accomplishing wealth transfer objectives. Whether a business owner, company decision-maker, or an individual seeking assistance, Todd can provide the information, advice, and confidence needed to make informed decisions, take proper action, and gain peace of mind.
Areas of Practice
- Business Corporate
- Outside General Counsel Service
- Real Estate
- Tax Planning and Controversy Resolution
- Compensation and Benefits
- Business Succession Planning
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Oil and Gas
- Ohio, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1998
- U.S. Tax Court, 2009
Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D., 1996
Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- The School of Business and Accountancy
- B.S., Business 1993, cum laude
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, member
- Columbus Bar Association Business Tax Committee
- Columbus Bar Association Estate and Gift Tax Committee (Chair, 2006-2008)
- Columbus Estate Planning Council
- Columbus Foundation Professional Council
- Provided tax structuring and facilitated sale and merger of companies worth in excess of $100 million to public corporations.
- Directed sale of a tech-instrument company to a multinational corporation.
- Conducted purchase of business segment and product lines from NASDAQ OMX Corporation in Finland.
- Facilitated purchase and sale of waste management business with operations in U.S. and Mexico.
- Restructuring and reorganization of corporation and its subsidiaries with annual revenues in excess of $200 million.
- Assisted multistate oil and gas corporation as well as other businesses and start-ups with debt and equity offerings, venture capital funding, and commercial financings.
- Negotiated purchase and redemption of shareholder interests in a real estate business owning numerous multi-unit properties with several entities and lenders.
- Established deferred compensation, stock appreciation, and other incentive compensation plans for directors and executives of corporations with revenues in excess of $100 million.
- Negotiated severance and employment/compensation agreements for C-level positions with NYSE and NASDAQ companies.
- Negotiation of physician contracts with regional health networks, hospitals, and practice groups.
- Provided complex estate planning and business succession solutions for family businesses, executives, and entrepreneurs.
- Review and negotiation of oil and gas leases for landowners throughout Ohio.
Community and Civic Involvement
- Powell Community Oversight Foundation – Legal Chair (community/property development organization)
- Golf Village Residents Association – Legal Chair
- Columbus Zoo Planned Giving Committee
- Olentangy Youth Athletic Association Baseball Coach
Publications and Presentation
- Purchasing a Business – Columbus Monthly
- Various corporate, tax and estate planning articles – Business First, Columbus CEO, Smart Business Columbus Magazine, and Daily Reporter
- Presenter, “Estate & Succession Planning for Family Business Leaders” – Conway Family Business Center of Central Ohio
- Presenter, “GRATs and other Planning Techniques for Low Interest Rate Environments”
- Presenter on multiple business, tax and estate planning topics to the Columbus Bar Association
- Guest Lecturer – Ohio Dominican University. “Building, Operating and Passing on a Family Business”